• Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Orange
  • Banana
  • Apple
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to your community. We would like you to take a minute and read our newcomers guide.

Sign in to follow this  
cryptofreak

Due to online criticism, Afri Schoedon quits the Ethereum community

Afri Schoedon (Ethereum core developer) due to online criticism is withdrawing from the project.

On Sunday, he tweeted that he will “no longer respond on Gitter, Skype, Discord, Slack, Wire, Twitter and Reddit.” By saying this, he meant he will no longer give answers to general technical questions or contribution requests directly from the public. Later, he then added that, this will mark his exit from the project completely.

Having being a major contributor to the ethereum codebase for over three years now, other developers had to respond to his comments, voicing their outrage over the actions that led to his decision.

Hudson Jameson (community relations manager for the Ethereum Foundation) on Twitter stated that:

I’m so angry and disappointed in the Ethereum community. You ran out one of our best contributors for the dumbest reasons. More people should have spoken up in support and there needs to be less vitriol.

The comments follow the Frank remarks of Schoedon on Thursday, where he drew comparison between Serenity (Ethereum’s scaling technology) and Polkadot (blockchain interoperability protocol). On Twitter, he wrote: “‘Polkadot delivers what Serenity ought to be. Change my mind.”

Some took this as a direct attack against Ethereum, and for this, Schoedon was called out on Reddit and Twitter for what some saw as a “conflict of interest.”

Schoedon is the release manager for an Ethereum software managed by Parity (a blockchain startup and company behind the building of Polkadot). Schoedon on Friday tweeted denying any allegations of malicious intentions: “I want to clarify that I put out this tweet to stir discussion, not to cement a narrative.”

Since then, Yaz Khoury (Ethereum Classic Cooperative director for Classic operations) on Twitter warned that:

this mob behavior against Afri and Parity is the result of toxic tribalism. Ethereum is a technology with many implementations and visions … The diversity of networks is powerful.